Friday, October 1, 2010

We did the buses!!!!

Today is Wednesday, September 29 and I took my walk this morning.  I forgot to take my camera with me again.  I have got to remember to do that.  I walked a bit farther today.  Walking here can be tough because it is up and down hill and the air is still as thin as it was when we got here.  When I got back I got Di up and we did our continental breakfast at the outside dining area again.  Got to get the camera out and take pictures of this area.  Oh well I’ll get around to it soon enough.

This morning Di and I decided that we would brave it and get on a bus and see what happens.  We decided that the worst case scenario was we would get lost and get off the bus and flag a taxi and go home.  We know where that is.  There is a bus stop immediately outside the apartment complex where we stay so I decided that the first thing to do was go stand at the bus stop and see what bus numbers go by in each direction.  I wrote them down on a piece of paper.  I also watched to see how people were getting the correct bus to stop for them then I went back to the apartment and checked the bus numbers against the bus route book that our friends gave us. 

We decided to take Bus 7 to the Mall del Rio since we had been there before and we were familiar with it.  We watched very careful which direction and which roads the bus took and what places we passed and I followed it very carefully in the bus route book.  While in route we found out where Mercado Feria Libre was.  This is a place that we knew we wanted to go to but didn’t know how to get there.  Now we knew.

Well, we got to Mall del Rio with no problems and learned a lot about how to get the bus to stop where you wanted it to.  That is a bigger trick than getting on.

 We ate lunch at KFC in the food court in the mall.   Di had traditional 2 piece dinner with fries and a coke.  I had the Ecuador version of 2 pieces of chicken with rice and beans and a Pilsener (beer).  We did a lot of window shopping for furniture, small appliances, large appliances, dishes, kitchen stuff and you name it.  We bought a few items at the Supermercado and we were tired.  Iit was time to go.

We decided to take the 7 bus back with all the stuff we bought and liked to killed ourselves getting up to the bus stop.  What a climb from the entrance to the bus stop.  We were exhausted.  The air is still as thin as it was when we got here.  Di made a pact with me.  If we could take a taxi back from the Mall del Rio after we shop then she would ride the bus to get there otherwise I could go by myself.

Got home about and put everything up and took a long siesta.  We are getting very good at siesta.  Siesta is good for you.

We decided to stay in and cook something real simple this evening.  We had bacon, eggs and toast with butter and peanut butter.  The brown eggs you get here are very delicious.  The bacon was very lean and tasty.  We purchased a brand of peanut butter rather than Peter Pan, which was available, because the cost was so much less.  It is excellent peanut butter.  We think it is made in Panama and imported into Ecuador but who knows.













We worked on Facebook entries and the blog and went to bed early.   The photos are of our apartment inside.  I will get photos of the outside as soon as I remember.  And so ends another day in our adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment